Thursday, July 24, 2008

Like Father, Like Daughter

Just a few weeks ago I was talking to a friend about my Dad and how he loved PEACE. Like as in the only time I ever remember him getting riled when us girls were little was if we were fighting. And the time I got into a fight at school with a girl who was a bully, he drove me to her house that night to make PEACE. He and my mom talked with her mom while I talked with bully(under direct supervision). What was so hilarious is that we actually did make up and became friends again. Wow, it worked!

A couple of weeks ago at work this girl & I had a MAJOR misunderstanding that led to some MAJOR frustrations. In the end both of us were pretty agitated. So when I confronted her about it (in a nice way)she got angry and started yelling. Whoa!! No, no. Even as a Christian I feel I handled the situation the best way I could but I'll admit I got defensive when she started yelling at me. And the MD just so happened to be in his office and heard the whole thing. So eventually he ends up going back to her office and telling her to stop talking about me. He didn't think she was being fair to me and she should apologize. Whoa!! Twas a long afternoon. But before she left no apologies were made from either of us. The only good thing about that Friday was that we all knew the MD was going away the next week for a conference and we would have the week off.

By Tuesday of the following week I felt like things needed to be dealt with. I tried my best to analyze the situation to see exactly what I did to make her so mad. I prayed the Lord would show me what I did wrong so I could make my part right. Anyway, Tuesday morning I decided to call her. No answer. No surprise there. In the past she had invited me to come to her house and she lives right down the street from my sister, so I decided I would drop in on her to try to make PEACE. Sound familiar?! I really wasn't feeling angry anymore, just very confused at what really happened to get us to that place.

So I pull up in her driveway and walk to the front door. Her teenage daughter opens it before I have a chance to knock. She is smiling at me. Good sign. "Come on in," she said. I walked in and hubby is sitting on couch and looks at me with a scowl and said in a monotone voice, "Have a seat." Not a good sign. Oh well, I was on a mission and I intended to complete it. "Where's (NAME)?" "She's in the back, she'll be out in a minute," hubby answered. Then (NAME)starts walking down the hallway towards me & says, "Girl, we just got back from camping and I look a mess." She's talking and not yelling, another good sign. I don't know what prompted this unusual response from me, I mean I didn't really plan anything. I just prayed-all the way, LOL! So I walked right up to her, leaned in real close and said, "I don't know if you knew this, but I am a blackbelt in karate and if you want too we can take this outside and finish it." Laughter-from both of us. Another good sign.

So we go out on the back deck and finish it. I told her I was sorry if I hurt her in anyway, that I certainly never meant too. She said it was her and she gets real irrational sometimes and just says things she shouldn't. We talked for awhile and she apologized. Wow, it worked! Talk about Deja vu!

So, thanks Dad for the real life lessons on PEACE. I'd have to say you've been a real example in that!!!

Matt 5:9 Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.

5 comments:

Always Faith said...

Good for you! I can't say that I would have been so quick to make peace...it's something I've always had to work on. *sigh* Love ya!!!

Unknown said...

We do have a great Dad, don't we? The best, I'd say!

Glad things worked out for you, sis.

Regina said...

you are great. i wouldnt have been the one to go to her. i am working on that. I love you and you are blessing to me.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful testimony, that was really good.

Mormie said...

Thats a perfect example of what your husband taught about at Youth Camp. I was listening!Love ya!